Dr Andrew K L Robinson, Public Health Physician
Areas of Expertise Health systems & programs innovation, implementation monitoring and evaluation; communicable and non-communicable diseases; Health Information Systems, clinical research; and human resources for health.
CURRENTLY: Extraordinary professor (2018), African Unit for Transdisciplinary Health Research (AUTHeR), developing the NWU School for Health Professionals, and graduate courses in Health Promotion, and Public Health for non-health professionals.
North West Provincial Health Department:
- HEAD: Clinical Services (2013-2017) - responsible clinical leadership and governance of Interns, Community Service and Foreign health. Projects included the Belgian-South African Study and Consultancy Fund to study evaluate the province’s Routine Health Information Systems with the NWU.
- DEPUTY DIRECTOR GENERAL (2006-2013) - Overall management, leadership and strategic direction of provincial health services of over 20 hospitals and 350 clinics, Emergency Medical Services and strategic health programs such as MCWH&N, HIV/AIDS, TB and Chronic Diseases.
- Social franchise models for PHC clinics, now adopted by the National Department’s Ideal Clinic Program,
- Equitable funding formulae for District Health Care Services
- Facilitation of the establishment of the first mHealth system for Community Health Worker Ward-based Outreach Teams - which has been the benchmark for the National Department.
RESEARCH SITE DIRECTOR: MRC’s South African Aids Vaccine Initiative (2002-2005), establishing a Phase I and II clinical HIV vaccine research unit with successful completion of the first preventive HIV Vaccine clinical trials in South Africa
MEDICAL ADVISOR: GlaxoSmithKline, South Africa (1999-2001): National principal investigator of clinical drug and vaccine trials (including antiretroviral, antibiotic, malaria, influenza, hepatitis)
Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health (1994-1999): Durban Metropolitan Council, initially as Communicable Disease Manager
Medical Officer posts – in rural KZN, London and Leeds UK and GP in Pietermaritzburg
PAST Roles and responsibilities include:
Building G16, 2nd floor,office 259