NWU Vaal Postgraduate Open Day 2015: Explore. Learn. Accomplish
The Vaal Triangle Campus of the North-West University (NWU Vaal) will be hosting its first-ever Postgraduate Open Day on Saturday 15 August 2015.
Deciding which the best university is for you at a postgraduate level is an important decision and henceforth the event offers you the ideal opportunity to get a feel for the Campus and the postgraduate programmes on offer. The importance of postgraduate study in South Africa has been highlighted on several occasions and by various key role players. The National Development Plan (NDP, 2012) serves as such an example. According to the NDP the country is set to increase the number of doctorates from 1 400 per year nationally to 6 000 by 2030. The latter poses a significant challenge for Higher Education in South Africa, and as the North-West University we eagerly embrace this challenge.
According to Prof Linda du Plessis, Vice-Rector of the NWU Vaal, postgraduate study can prove to be an exciting route to advancing within the sphere of an existing career as well as opening up new employment opportunities. “I believe that this event and your interest in furthering your studies will not only contribute towards the strengthening of our research capacity, but will also aid in producing the advanced skills that our country so desperately needs,” says Prof Du Plessis.
NWU Postgraduate Open Days
On the 15th of August all three campuses of the North-West University (NWU) will be hosting postgraduate open days and during these not-to-be-missed events, prospective postgraduate students can familiarise themselves with the University’s framework for training, study support, and career preparation. “Whether you are new to the NWU or already a student of one of our campuses, the Postgraduate Open Day is an ideal opportunity to learn more about our postgraduate offerings, our research capabilities, and to meet our highly-sought after staff and current students,” explains Prof Du Plessis.
Make the most of the Postgraduate Open Day
- Gather as much information before you attend. If you are interested in a particular department examine their website and generate a list of questions that you would like to ask on the day.
- Discuss your study needs and ambitions with a current postgraduate student rather than converse with a person offering general information about the University or the faculty in question.
- Investigate all costs involved, Take the opportunity to discover what the degree course will cost. It is not just the fees that you have to pay – where will be some costs associated with external visits, weekend workshops off-campus, books and other equipment.
- While on the subject of money, it pays to enquiry about grants offered by the University. It is also worth asking about any funding opportunities and bursaries.
- If you are considering studies for a Master’s degree or a PhD, talk with the research students about their projects. Also ask about their funding, relationships with supervisors and typical time taken to complete the research and write a thesis.
It is important to note that you have to register online to attend the event. Please visit www.nwu.ac.za/post-graduate-open-day-vaal to book your place. You can also learn more about the programme for the day and the different venues that will be used.